I posted about my previous experiment in yarn pooling and mentioned I was working on another. Well, it is finished and I really like the look of it. I used Caron Simply Soft Stripes in “Churchill Downs” color. (I have been there many times and none of these colors make me think of the place!) I think it turned out pretty cool though. It uses granny stitch (6 cluster for each color) and I did the border in cream Caron Simply Soft with one row of double crochet and two rows of single crochet. I based it off the pattern in this blog post from Repeat Crafter Me. The hardest part is making each color turn out into exactly 6 clusters, so a lot of ripping out and redoing with either tighter or looser tension to get there.
I have a baby shower to go to in March and I am in the process of making a set of blanket, hat, and booties as a gift. I am using Caron Simply Soft in off white, soft green, and lavender blue. I picked these colors since I don’t know the sex yet and those are pretty baby neutral. The booties and hat are finished since they are pretty quick to make, just an hour or two.
The blanket is in a ripple pattern with four rows of each color and is about half finished now. I like this ripple as it is a very repetitive pattern and easy to keep track of your spot since it is all in 3’s. The purple looks a bit darker here than in real life for some reason but the other two are pretty accurate.
I wish I had a longer lens, but here is tonight’s super blue moon here in Pickering, Ontario at around 11pm. This was using my Nikon D7000 and a 300mm lens on a tripod.
To go with the blanket in the previous post, I made a hat using Caron Cupcakes yarn (Sour Grapes color) which comes with a pom-pom for the top. With the leftover yarn, I made a pair of socks to match. Again, my husband picked the color to go with the yarn for the blanket. I used the pattern on the label to make it (you can find it here) and although it says it makes a hat for a 2-10 year old, measure the head of the child to make sure it will fit as the first one I made using the 2-year-old size was too small for my 1-year-old nephew and I had to rip it out and make it larger. I took a bit of artistic license with the pattern and after it got to the rows all the same length, I added in a couple of rows of front post double crochet cables. When it came to the 5 rows of single crochet for the band at the bottom, I did those in alternating front and back loop sc to give it a bit of detail.
With the leftover yarn from the hat, I made a cute pair of socks using this pattern, but since it was thicker yarn than the pattern called for and for an older baby, I used a G hook and they turned out just the right size for a 1-year-old.
After seeing photos and a few videos about yarn pooling, I decided to give it a try. My first attempt is this baby blanket done in Craft Smart Value Yarn in the color “Giverney”. This was a gift for a baby’s first birthday and the yarn was chosen by my husband since it was for his cousin. The yarn is a variegated yarn with the colors lavender (lv), purple (pu), royal blue (rb), dark blue (db), turquoise (tu) and yellow (ye), which flow back and forth in a kind of spectrum look (it ran rb-db-pu-db-rb-lv-ye-tu-ye-lv then started over again) but in a very short length for each color (just over one double crochet per color).
Since most pooling instructions tell you to use a yarn with a longer length for each color, I had to wing it a bit. I started with a long chain which I made the width I wanted the blanket and made sure to end it on the last color of a spectrum (rb in this case) so my first double crochet was the start of a color. I worked it in granny stitch (clusters of 3 double crochets skipping 2 stitches between on the chain, then the rest of the rows the cluster goes in the space between clusters on the previous row). Once I had a couple of rows done, I made sure the colors in the current row roughly matched the ones 2 rows previous (the last cluster directly below it) adjusting tension as needed so they stayed lined up. This way the colors wound up in vertical stripes even though I worked the stitches in horizontal rows. After I finished, I gave it a border all the way around in double crochet to give it a smooth edge. I think it turned out looking rather interesting.
I am working on another yarn pooling throw now that has a longer length for each color and is working out into a kind of plaid or argyle pattern as I go. I will post a photo when I finish it.
I couldn’t leave it be and powered through to finish it tonight. It turned out really nice too. I know I messed up the center braid in one place, but it doesn’t stand out too bad and since it is for me I can live with it. 🙂 Once you got in the rhythm the cables weren’t too horribly difficult and it kept you from getting bored because you were constantly changing back and forth.
I saw this pattern online and just had to try it. This is my first try at crochet cables and I am liking it. I may have messed up the center braid a bit but I don’t feel like backing up that far to redo it. The pattern I am using is Sewrella’s Crochet Heirloom Cabled Throw, but instead of Lion Brand Thick and Quick I am using Bernat Roving and an 8mm hook so I added an extra double crochet between cables (3 instead of 2) to help make up for the size difference. The center braid is the most confusing part but I think I am getting the hang of hit now. Trying to read the pattern may make your brain melt, so I recommend watching and crocheting along with the video instead.